Cecilia Cassini has been watching too much Bravo

I ran into this clip of Cecilia Cassini, who is supposedly the world’s “Youngest Fashion Designer.” I don’t see how anyone could know that, but I’ll play along. After making it through this interview (which was difficult) I can’t decide if she sounds more like Rachel Zoe or Miss South Carolina (“like, such as, and The Iraq”).

I Googled her to look at her clothes. I figured if I like her clothes, I might not hate her so much. And yes, I understand she’s 10. But I can still hate her.

The clothes…. they’re bad. I’m well aware they are way better than anything I could have done at age 10 but then again I wasn’t in Vogue….VOGUE!…and several other huge fashion magazines. If she wasn’t being taken so seriously I’d be happy for her. But people truly believe this girl is some fashion designer prodigy. There’s nothing amazing about the clothing she makes.

One of the cheapest things she sells is a belly shirt for children for $38. Everything else is even more overpriced. A poorly sewn leopard dress for $83. Most fabrics that don’t go together, which is ironic if you watched the whole interview. Cecelia said she quit going to a sewing teacher because the teacher criticized her fabric choices… and….. well……. the teacher was right. Your fabric choices are horrible. AND THIS IS COMING FROM A PERSON THAT WEARS POLYESTER OCCASIONALLY. I know you’re 10. But you have been in Vogue…… if you’re in Vogue you should know how to sew a seam.

Hopefully she’ll be less miserable in a few years once she understand the words coming out of her own mouth, or because those few years will be spent in the fashion industry, she’ll be even more self-absorbed and less likely to form a logical sentence. Odds are the latter.

I’m willing to bet she’ll have her own Bravo TV show and/or be interning for Rachel Zoe in the next year or two.

33 responses

1. $90 for that shiz???? I’m not tryin to be a hater, but I hope this little girl continues to make crappy kmart clothes and never gets famous as an adult. She needs humble lessons, not sewing lessons.

November 14, 2010 at 10:53 AM

2. domhnall

“The clothes…. they’re bad. I’m well aware they are way better than anything I could have done at age 10 but then again I wasn’t in Vogue.”

Man, what is wrong with you? As you point out, she is TEN. You can argue whether or not she should be getting the exposure she is but..TEN, remember? That someone of that age is being interviewed = messed up, that you are actually delivering a critique of her designs = far beyond weird. I hope you never turn your eagle eye on my 7 year olds drawings (“totally lacking in compositional skill”…”faux-primitive use of antique media [crayon] leaves me unmoved”). Oh and your survey? Might have been a bit classier to have an option that acknowledged she is an unusual child doing something she clearly enjoys while disapproving of the way that’s being exploited. But then again, as I say, that would have been classier….I won’t hold my breath.

November 14, 2010 at 12:18 PM

3. Shannon

Wow. It is SO sad to hear/see a child posing and posturing like that. The way she speaks is incredibly obnoxious and shallow…yes, even for her age. It is not even remotely cute. I feel terrible for her and her dismal designs. To overcelebrate this work (which, admittedly shows some skill in SOME cases) is not good for this child – adults will do anything to make money. I know this child is interested in fashion, but she should be learning at this point in her life. She is going to miss a huge part of her education and miss out on a great deal because she already feels like she knows so much. Sad.

November 14, 2010 at 12:24 PM

4. @domhnall, I added a “classy” (lulz) option on the poll for you. Happy?

November 14, 2010 at 12:26 PM

5. what a snotty little [redacted c-word, don't call kids that on my blog please]. doesn’t even have a chance to become a good person. poor thing.

November 14, 2010 at 12:30 PM

6. domhnall

RE happy: I am now.Yes. I dunno, after I read my comment to you I wondered if I was just being prissy…I am not sure…I think the bad thing is this kid is being critiqued…the people who put her forward for it obviously have the primary fault to bear…I don’t feel great about commenting on it now…complex…but thank you for replying, that WAS classy =)

oh and elvis? I am aware you are probably 13yo and 3rd generation trailer park, but thats not a word we ever use to describe women, son.

November 14, 2010 at 12:44 PM

7. Ghost of Versace

This reminds me of the movie “Exit Through the Gift Shop” in which a guy (Mr. Brainwash) decides he is an artist and pieces together tons of crap (they show his artistic method), the joke is that people pay outrageous prices for it because they buy into the hype. I think it goes to show if marketing is done right, you’ll sell ice to Eskimos.

November 14, 2010 at 12:59 PM

8. Perry Clease

If you think that she is annoying now, wait a few years and it will be much worse. Now that doesn’t mean that she won’t grow into being a good designer.

November 14, 2010 at 2:07 PM

9. Geez, cut the kid some slack. Her friends would murder her if she did NOT talk like that. She’s got an angle and she’s playing it so good luck to her.

November 14, 2010 at 2:51 PM

10. Pingback: Apropos Of The Previous Post of the Day: Meanwhile, On The… | weeklypop

11. fredey

somehow I see this becoming some new 4chan operation in the near future.

November 14, 2010 at 4:46 PM

• I know, I wouldn’t be surprised if they ruin the poor girl’s life. I hope that doesn’t happen. I’m just not so sure fashion design is the place for her to be right now.

November 14, 2010 at 5:40 PM

12. If I was like… uh….. a little girl instead of a like 42 year old guy I’d be like so AMAZED that this girl could like finish something let alone like uh, came up with this idea herself. It’s like so ADULT… so like uh… which one of her parents(said with an inflection up to let you know a question is coming) put this stuff like…. uh… like in her head? Uh…. Uh… like of course if this little rug rat does grow up and develop tastes… or like uh….. a real fashion sense.. Uh… like… this freaking like uh little rags will be like uh….. worth like us ….. something expensive?

November 14, 2010 at 5:26 PM

13. Ruin her life? The kid’s having a great time and getting lots of attention with people telling she’s talented and beautiful. Who cares if it’s true if people buy her stuff and she has fun doing it. Now if she was, like, talking about, like, quitting school, you know, that would be, like, really bad. But it’s nothing like that.

Besides, it could be much worse. She could be singing and covering Norah Jones songs.

November 14, 2010 at 5:54 PM

14. @Silas Scarborough When I said “I wouldn’t be surprised if they ruin the poor girl’s life” I was talking about fredey‘s the 4chan comment.

November 14, 2010 at 6:06 PM

15. Wouldn’t it be great if Cecilia Cassini and Justin Bieber started dating? Bad hair, bad clothes and a hate fest that would see no end!

November 14, 2010 at 6:38 PM

16. Ashash

I agree with Bethany here, if she’s going to be sitting at the adults table, she should be critiqued as an adult. I’m highly skeptical of all “child prodigies.” Really, we should just let them make their things in peace, and when they’re older and have completely blossomed, THEN they should be making their mark on the world. Not that kids CAN’T do amazing things, but being in the limelight like that at a young age is rarely beneficial, as we’ve seen.

November 14, 2010 at 9:29 PM

17. Melody

I think the clothes are kind of interesting looking. A couple of the ideas are groovy. When I was a little kid back in the 80’s I used to think Punky Brewster was the bomb. I would probably dig this girls clothes if I were in elementary school. As a parent, I think they are obviously over-priced. However, most people would be floored by what people will spend on brand name kids clothes. I’m not even talking about the really hot designers either; just the regular stuff at Macy’s or Sears. People are a little off.

Yeah, this interview shows her in a pretty crappy light. I don’t personally know the kid, so I don’t know how accurate it is. I don’t know how I would do in front of a bunch of cameras, given the “red carpet” treatment at a movie premier myself. I know my kids want to “preform” when they get nervous in front of a lot of people and it’s not a pretty sight. I have to “remind” them of their manners and sometimes take them out of the situation completely because they are just too young and inexperienced to handle it. In that situation, it may not have been possible for her parents to take her out of the situation before she embarrassed herself without causing a scene. Maybe they thought she would be walking through, waving at people and then walking out and weren’t expecting that she would be stopped to answer questions. They may not have realized until it was too late that she was in a situation way over her head. I feel bad for her because as hard as it is for an adult to be commented on and judged repeatedly and harshly under the macro- microscope of the internet, for a child of that age who also has yet to develop the coping skills from even the most basic playground experiences, I can’t even imagine. As adults we really should be cautious with our critiques no matter how easy or obvious the target; especially when they lack the ability to fight back.

November 14, 2010 at 10:17 PM

18. Aaron

There’s in inverse correlation with her talking and her IQ…

November 14, 2010 at 10:26 PM

19. Skylar

I am 12, I can sew SO MUCH BETTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I do not want to brag or be bratty and selfish at all, but for all the attention she gets, she should be able to sew something nice. it would take me 5 MINUTES to make that. I would be ashamed though, those colors are !!!!!!!!!!! together!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you for thinking what I think!!! PS I like your site name!:) I use way to many exclamation marks! I am also putting up a site for my designs, but I haven’t finished yet…… See you around! (well, hypothetically..[forget it, i will never see you......... but visiting my site would be nice! maybe ill post the link sometime....])

November 14, 2010 at 10:59 PM

20. tb

Like, omg! I am SOOOOO awesome!

November 14, 2010 at 11:08 PM

21. Samantha

This little girl is a nightmare. Her attitude and mannerisms quite clearly communicate how highly she thinks of herself. I really can’t fathom how people can stand to interact with her. I find quite a few of her “designs” atrocious, but for the most part they seem like things 10 years old would think was really pretty.

I have to say, I don’t think the prices are that exorbitant. Although overpriced, everything she sells is hand-sewn, and since she’s likely trying to turn a profit, handmade costs a lot more.

November 14, 2010 at 11:11 PM

22. Skylar

Hey, me again. I actually DID watch the vid this time. She was talking weird….. i have been sewing ON A MACHINE when i was 4, hand sewing since i was 3. No joke. True story. I do wish i had that much attention. i am actually pretty good in front of audiences. And i would actually deserve it. Shes one lucky duck…. *frowny face* :(

November 14, 2010 at 11:12 PM

23. sami

I know three year olds who are more articulate that her. No joke. Her parents need to be slapped. How about providing her with a few lessons in grammar and humility? If you think it’s cute now just wait until she’s a teenager and then we’ll see how cute it is.

November 14, 2010 at 11:31 PM

24. @Skylar I never have known a 12 year old to use the word “hypothetically” … but if you are indeed 12 I’d love to see your site once you set it up! Keep up the good work. I’m sure you’re much better than our little friend Cecilia.

November 14, 2010 at 11:35 PM

25. Kitty

Oh, it’s so hip to sew now, isn’t it, they’ve even got the kids doing it. I blame Bravo.

November 15, 2010 at 1:46 AM

26. Cole

There is so much I just don’t understand about this: Like how/why this little girl has publicity like this, how/why she thinks she is the shiz, how/why she thinks she does not need to actually learn what is fashionable? Ok it’s cool she, only 10 is making clothes. I get that, but that’s the thing she’s 10. A 10 year old, I feel would be unable to grasp any idea of what the consumer/industry would find fashionable. So let’s just go with, she hasn’t a clue with what looks good, she has no clue of a cutomer profile, she has no clue of the deeper how to sell parts of the fashion world. Let’s just go with actually making the clothes. I my self am going to school for fashion design, and I can tell you. Actually making patterns for said clothes, is alot more difficult then just cutting out what would seem to be the shape of a shirt. Plus the quality of any thing she would, if it really is even her making the clothes would be very low, as in low to the point you would not be selling it for $90. There really is just so much that upsets me with this little girl, and as some one said above, if she wants to play grown up, then we should critique her as one. And honey, there just not good…

November 15, 2010 at 1:56 AM

27. Kitty

Wow. I just watched the video…seriously? My first thought – those aren’t designs, honey…and designing for children isn’t even anything near designing for adults. Does she even have a concept of french seams, darts, horsehair braid? Does she know the difference between a blind hem and a rolled hem? Drop stitch and back stitch?

My point is, the simplicity of her designs aside, if she’s doing the construction herself, I’d almost rather she NOT know what she’s doing, because if she does, and she herself produces according to common industry standards – even simple ones, like serged/finished seams – that’s pretty close to child labor if she’s producing all of her for-sale wares.

Wait until the Mean Girls in high school peep her with the lame turd hat…or if she is a Mean Girl in high school, wait until she graduates, marries the star quarterback, and becomes a stay at home mom while her hubs manages his dad’s used car dealership. Nothing wrong with it…just how the real world tends to respond to such over-the-top, unwarranted precociousness.

Sic Nina Garcia, Micheal Kors, and Heidi Klum on her!

November 15, 2010 at 2:11 AM

28. Howard Gibson

With what people watch on TV, is she really any dumber than these adults?

November 15, 2010 at 2:46 AM

29. Anonymous

i cant believe her im also her age she has clothes that are ok but now since she turned famous she turned her clothes kinda weird i dont wanna be mean =)=(

March 5, 2011 at 5:09 PM

30. Cecilia Cassini= BIG HEAD!! Im younger, i can sew BETTER than her and she gets all the attention. Shes in magazines and her work looks like it was stitched by a five yr old!! SHES A YOUNG GIRL LEARNING TO SEW!! Isn’t the title ‘youngest fashion designer in the world’ giving her a little too much credit?? AND Y THE HECK DOES SHE TALK LIKE THT?? AND WOT THE FUDGE DOES SHE HAVE ON HER HEAD?? AND FOR DUCK’S SAKE, THEY DONT MATCH GIRL!!!
    —-NATTY OUT—-

August 1, 2012 at 6:45 AM

31. Anonymous

You are being so mean to a little girl! And i do not like your poll at the bottom of the post. I like her clothes and i have style!

March 13, 2013 at 3:27 PM